The first night of the winter?

Blog the previous nights viewing. Link to images on the gallery or simply describe what you observed the night before. Leave the technical and howto in another forum.
rwilkinson

The first night of the winter?

Post by rwilkinson » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:13 am

After three months of waiting for it to go dark, I set up my comet-imaging system last night.
By 10pm I had my mount set up and polar-aligned, and as my target was in Pegasus, I did a one-star alignment on Enif.
I managed to get 33 frames of the comet C/2015 VL62 (Lemmon-Yeung-PanSTARRS) before 11pm, when the sky was brightening again due to the rising Moon. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=950

Whilst my 'scope and camera were busy with the comet, I sat out on a chair looking for Perseid meteors. Even though Perseus itself was obscured by the trees, I did see five bright fast-moving meteors over the course of half an hour. A couple were 2nd magnitude, one was 1st magnitude and two were extremely bright: I think that the brightest could have been classed as a fireball!

All in all, an excellent start to the new season. :D
Last edited by rwilkinson on Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DRatledge

Re: The fist night of the winter?

Post by DRatledge » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:59 pm

Ross,
Might have seen the same very bright meteor as yourself. I was looking in the direction of Bolton (from Adlington) at around 10:20pm - its path was obviously from Perseus crossing Andromeda/Pegasus.

rwilkinson

Re: Perseid meteors

Post by rwilkinson » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:14 pm

DRatledge wrote:Might have seen the same very bright meteor as yourself. I was looking in the direction of Bolton (from Adlington) at around 10:20pm - its path was obviously from Perseus crossing Andromeda/Pegasus.
No David, mine were later than that: the first bright one was around 10:38, going through Aquila and the fireball about 10:55 in Andromeda.

The next forecast clear night is Tuesday, but tonight's edition of The Sky At Night is all about the Perseids: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b091j816

bchamberlain

Re: The first night of the winter?

Post by bchamberlain » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:06 am

I hope your Tuesday night forecast is the accurate one. The 'Clear Outside' site says high cloud rolling in around 9pm

rwilkinson

Re: The first night of the winter?

Post by rwilkinson » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:44 am

Last night I went out to set up my C8 'scope and mount, to have a look for Comet Africano.

I had a false-start: after setting up my tripod and doing a polar alignment, I realised that there was a tree in the way of my target!
Eventually I had to move the green wheelie-bin to make space to set up with a good view (over the shed roof) - and then I had to push the privets aside to see Deneb in the finder-scope when doing my alignment.
I noticed from the hand-control that the last time I'd set up this mount was 7th March!

After that, things went smoothly. The comet was low in the NE, but I managed to collect 40x 60-sec exposures before the comet moved behind the trees.
africano_24aug.jpg
Comet Africano on 24-Aug. 40x 60-sec with C8 at f/3.3
africano_24aug.jpg (88.25 KiB) Viewed 1692 times